When Cortez came to the new world he burned his ships. That way his men were well motivated – there was no going back.
Selling my townhome was somewhat similar. I closed the sale this past Friday. I’m still living there but as a renter for the next six months.
It has been said that the hardest thing for any individual to do is to change. That change can come in many forms not the least of which is moving.
If all goes well my house should be sold by the middle of next month. I will be renting it back from the new owners until the end of April (or so). I’ll be heading out to Oregon at the end of the lease and before – Eugene. If I like it as much as I remember from 1980 then I’ll stay for awhile.
I can only hope that the change will not be painful and the arriving will be worth the leaving. Of this I have little doubt.
Back to the place that gave my career birth.
Back to the cool, green hills of Earth.
That popping sound that we heard a couple of weeks ago was caused by scientists who have had doubts about global warming, pulling their fingers (?) out of their ears. Rather blunt, I know, but it’s meant to be.
Greenland, for the first time in recorded history, is experiencing melting over 97% of it’s ice sheet. How does this matter?
I’ve mentioned before that melting ice which is over water doen’st have much an effect on sealevel rise but if it’s over land, like Antartica and Greenland, it will add volume to the oceans.
This link will provide you with a good insight into what is going on and what it means http://www.wunderground.com/blog/JeffMasters/comment.html?entrynum=2160
Like a mouse running between the legs of elephants we are now just beginning to try and keep out of the way.
First we slay the dreamers – then silence discussion and spread misinformation – finally, call it God’s will. These methods have been used for centuries by those in power to gain control and further their own economic ends.
We have just recently seen this approach manifested in the mass firing of Canadian ocean scientists – yes, Canada! The scientists who were fired conducted ocean research for decades on pollutants that contaminated marine mammals and fisheries. This action effectively eliminates research into the effects of oil and gas drilling on oceanic resources, not only for Canada but for most of the planet.
If there were to be a memorial built to these scientists an inscription at the base of it might read: “As the wizards faded into the new night and fog the cry ‘profits uber alles’ was shouted and sheep echoed in chorus.”
A couple of weeks ago I went to an American car dealership in Mobile that was blowing the horn for an all electric car it was announcing. It’s apply called the ‘Volt’. The owner of the dealership made the intro to the meeting which consisted of a movie and Q & A.
He stated that it was the first all American, all electric car. I asked if all the parts were made in the US and if the rare earth elements used in the batteries were also mined in the US? He didn’t really answer either question. It turns out that some of the ‘Volts’ parts are made overseas and the car is assembled in the US.
The rare earth elements used in the batteries are ‘the’ key component in getting the batteries to hold a charge big enough and long enough.
Rare earth elements’ economically concentrated global distribution is 95% in China and Inner Mongolia. The other 5% mostly in Peru and Australia.
Without these rare earth elements using lead acid batteries would be better idea.
China has already announced that it is cutting back on it’s shipments of rare earth elements in order to divert more for it’s domestic production. We seemed to have trained them well in the art of the ‘squeeze play’. If the electric car, ‘Volt’ or any other, wants to become the new Model-T, their makers need to find a new source of rare earth elements or their price will stay high. The ‘Volt’ is listed for $31,000+ MSRP. If you’d like more information on rare earth elements follow this link:
Think Global – Act Local